Saturday 24 November 2012

He went to the bookshelf and the bookshelf was bare (by the time he had finished buying all the books on it)

Before I take you through the picture below, do please keep answering the Agatha Christie questions from yesterday - I believe in you guys, I think we can get James loads of answers for his thesis!  Spread the word...


I went to London on Thursday, to hear the Persephone lecture and meet up with some online friends (all of which was wonderful) - whilst there, I managed to get a book or two... and I thought you might like to know what has entered my teetering towers of books!  It does include three gift books (my meet-up does a Secret Santa, as well as bringing lots of swaps) so they're on the pile for Reading Presently next year.

Mariana by Monica Dickens
I found two of those fancy Persephone new editions in a secondhand bookshop - so they came home with me!  I do have both in the original editions, but... these are so pretty.

Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks
This only came out a few weeks ago, I think - I spotted it in The Times review pages last week, and was thinking about buying a copy, and then I found it in Oxfam.  Win!

The Crafty Art of Playmaking by Alan Ayckbourn
Don't worry, I have no intention of writing a play (except for my contribution to the Chiselborough Christmas Cracker) but my fascination with all things theatre could meet new levels here.

At The Pines by Mollie Panter-Downes
I don't know anything about this, but I wasn't about to leave a Mollie Panter-Downes behind, was I?

Adele and Co. by Dornford Yates
This was my gift in the Secret Santa - I've been meaning to try Dornford Yates for ages, since I know a few fans of his, and now I have the chance in this lovely edition.

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey
And another one!  Very excited about the film of this coming out next year - incidentally, check out Lisa's wonderful interview with the scriptwriter.

Money for Nothing by P.G. Wodehouse
In the swap pile at our meet-up - always happy to add more Wodehouse to my shelves, especially when it's a lovely old edition like this.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
More from the swap pile - my book group is reading this next year, so it was great to nab a copy gratis.

Darkness and Day by Ivy Compton-Burnett
Very pleased to pick up a tricky-to-find ICB novel in the lovely Slightly Foxed bookshop.

The Man Who Tasted Shapes by Richard E. Cytowic
Anne Fadiman says that everyone has a shelf of books which don't quite match the rest of their taste - mine has popular psychology and neurology.  I don't understand everything I'm reading, but I find it fascinating.  As the title suggests, this is about synesthesia.

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter
More Carter, please - and I love this fun cover.

Right, that's my haul!  Probably bought a few more than I ought to have done, so I think there's going to be a self-imposed ban for the rest of 2012...

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful book day you had. Enjoyed looking at all of the titles. So much fun to bring home new books and know they belong to you isn't it. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the Pines is one of only two Mollie Panter-Downes books my library has (the other is Ooty Preserved) so I have actually heard of it! My last purchases of the year (I refuse to buy books after November 1 - it's not fair to all the people who need to buy me Christmas presents) are slowly arriving and Panter-Downes' two Persephone books are among them; I am planning to start Good Evening, Mrs Craven this weekend. The two Persephone Classics you grabbed are, of course, lovely and they happen to be two of my favourites, particularly Cheerful Weather for the Wedding! But where, Simon, do you find the room to keep all these books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overflow facility in Somerset! (Parents staunchly defending twin brother's right NOT to have HIS space invaded!!!)

      Delete
    2. As Mum says, most of them at home! And I'm working on Colin's room...
      A good idea not to buy any after Nov 1st - my self-imposed ban failed already, but it was only £1 for a Helene Hanff...

      Delete
  3. Did you see much of the countryside on your return journey to Oxford or were you busy browsing through your great finds? I would have snapped up that Panter-Downes book in a heartbeat, Simon, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was probably unable to see out of the window - over the pile of books on his lap!

      Delete
    2. Well, I couldn't see - but because it was dark! You do get to see quite a lot of countryside on that route normally, and then horrible bits of London approach...

      Good job you weren't there, Darlene, or we'd have had to fight over the Mollie P-D!

      Delete
  4. An eclectic and excellent buy, some I own, others still linger on my To Buy List. I too have an interest in neurology so I can sympathise with your Sacks and Cytowic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there are others of us with this interest - it does feel a bit leftfield compared to what I normally read.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely time. I really enjoyed The Help and will be curious to hear your opinion of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book group in April or May, I think, so I will let y'all know then!

      Delete
  6. A lovely day, Simon and a lovely picture of your finds/gifts. Mine have stayed down in London - I'll be down in the car next Sunday. I did make a list though to remind me. Thank you for your company! Happy reading - or just admiring for the moment ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely day indeed :) I'm surprised you managed to haul your books anywhere at all!

      Delete
  7. Lovely books Simon, and lucky to find some second-hand Persephones - I like the ones with picture covers as well as grey ones and am trying to resist the little voice in my head telling me I need to collect them all to keep up with the Savidge Reads project!

    Well done on the ICB too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did leave a couple secondhand Persephones in the shop, cos I already had them. Simon's project is such a good idea, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. If you have, yet again, raided Notting Hill B&CE *1* week before I get to go there........... Envying you "At the Pines" although I do have "Mariana". No VMCs I note, so maybe you *have* left some for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I left you some things... in fact, two Persephones still there!

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.