Thursday 28 June 2012

A Little Sale...

Books for Sale!

I'm going away for a long weekend (conference down near home, so making the most of it) and thought I'd try something... I've been having a sort-out, and have quite a few books I don't need any more.  I'm also somewhat in need of monies at the moment, what with an unfunded DPhil and all, so I thought I'd copy an idea Rachel had a while ago, and put up my old books for sale.  I think some of them might appeal.  Hope you don't mind this swerve away from normal blog posts - but I think it could be win-win for us both.

Because of postage costs, this is just for people in the UK - but if you see something you really like, then email me and we can try to work something out!

To make things simple, they're £4 each, 3 for £10, including postage.  Pick the one(s) you want, and email me at simondavidthomas[at]yahoo.co.uk (and maybe stake your claim in the comments) - payment would have to be by cheque, or bank transfer, or Paypal.

With every order, if you like, I'll include one of my sketches.  Just say 'yes please, sketch!' with your email.  (Feel free to pick one from the archives - links in the left column - or I'll pick one.)

I don't know if this is going to be wildly successful or a complete dud, but I thought it would be worth a shot!  There are pictures of them all below, and a list at the bottom (I'll delete them from the list as they go... pictures might not be updated).  I wish I could just post them all off for free, but it would leave me very skint!

Normal service will resume next Tuesday :)






The Upright Piano Player - David Abbott
A Long, Long Way - Sebastian Barry
Discipline - Mary Brunton
Cloud 9 - Caryl Churchill
Youth and other stories - Joseph Conrad
Under Western Eyes - Josephn Conrad
Old Men Forget - Duff Cooper
The New House - Lettice Cooper
The Ridleys - Richmal Crompton
Weatherley Parade - Richmal Crompton
Mariana - Monica Dickens
The Bookshop - Penelope Fitzgerald
The Battle of the Villa Fiorita - Rumer Godden
Island Magic - Elizabeth Goudge
The Ivory Tower - Henry James
The Gingerbread Woman - Jennifer Johnson
Kim - Rudyard Kipling
The Village - Marghanita Laski
Little Boy Lost - Marghanita Laski
Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town - Stephen Leacock
Babbit - Sinclair Lewis
The World My Wilderness - Rose Macaulay
Greenery Street - Denis Mackail
If I May - A.A. Milne
Once on a Time - A.A. Milne
The Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet - Benjamin Hoff
The Empty Room - Charles Morgan
White Boots - Noel Streatfeild
Love Letters - Leonard Woolf and Trekkie Ritchie Parsons
A Haunted House - Virginia Woolf
A Book of One's Own: People and their Diaries - Thomas Mallon

15 comments:

  1. Richmal cromptons both please! Verity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Verity you beat me to it! Would have loved those!!
    :-) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I was about to bid for the Richmal Crompton's too---both rarities, I think! Never mind. By the way, Simon, do you think Persephone would be interested in reprinting either of them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simon,

    I would very much like a "3 for £10" as follows:

    Mariana - Monica Dickens
    Love Letters - Leonard Woolf and Trekkie Ritchie Parsons
    A Haunted House - Virginia Woolf

    I can do PayPal and I think you have my email address but if you can't find it reply to this comment and I'll email you!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm emailing you for a £3 for £10 -- Laski the village, Macaulay, and Lettice Cooper (whoveer she may be).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll also go for a 3 for £10 bargain, pretty please

    The two A A Milnes, and The Gingerbread Woman as that title sounds intriguing.

    Many thanks
    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ones I want have already gone! :( Great idea though! Looks like they're selling like hotcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Simon, I would like The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald. And please include a sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remember I buy academic books if that helps you out at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Simon, would you consider sending me Greenery Street... Adelaide Australia? Am guessing this would be around 4 pounds to post. Will email you. I would love a sketch, anything a bit English. I can pay by paypal. This is a great idea.

    Merenia x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I've just checked and I haven't got Island Magic - will email. What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey - can I have Old Men Forget, The Ivory Tower and Little Boy Lost? Will send an email now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Babbit, please! I'm in Canada but will be back in the UK this summer, so could perhaps borrow my parents' address for delivery. And SKETCH, PLEASE! I remember the days of the poor postgrad student, tho things were never as bad for me in the 1980s/1990s as they are now.

    Prithee, oh Simon, how do I proceed?

    Love your blog,

    Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janey! That's great - just email me at simondavidthomas[at]yahoo.co.uk and we'll take it from there :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Janey - haven't had an email from you yet, do you still fancy Babbit? :)

      Delete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.