Saturday 24 March 2012

Stuck-in-a-Book's Weekend Miscellany

I was quite miscellaneous (as it were) yesterday, so this feels a bit like an elongated weekend.... but there is always room for a book, a link, and a blog post!

1.) The book - is Edgar Allen Poe's Murder at the Rue Morgue and other stories, sent to me by Penguin.  It's part of their new Penguin English Library series, each of which comes with a rather funky patterned cover.  (Yes, folks, that's right - I'm bringing back the word 'funky'.)  They're not reinventing the wheel with their choices - there certainly aren't any undiscovered voices being, er, discovered - but it's always fun to have classic books in attractive formats.  Trollope's The Warden has also arrived, and will hopefully be the incentive I need to read some Trollope (although I feel oddly guilty about reading non-twentieth century titles this year...)

2.) The blog post - is Eva's intriguing question: reading pilgrim or reading monk?  I'll let her explain the rest...

3.) The link - is a trailer (of sorts) to a film I'll be seeing on Sunday: Grand Hotel.  It's based on the book by Vicki Baum, which I have had in my possession but never read, and won the Oscar for Best Film back in 1932.  Oxford's wonderful Ultimate Picture Palace often show classic films, and this is the final in their 'season' on films set in hotels.  Great idea, no?



If you happen to be in Oxford at 3.45 on Sunday... do come along!

12 comments:

  1. I love the cover of that Edgar Allan Poe book!

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand Hotel is fabulous - book _and_ film. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! It is lovely having a cinema in Oxford which does these sorts of things. They're next 'classics' series is Westerns, so I might give those a miss, but I'll definitely go for more later.

      Joan Crawford was wonderful! What a shame she seems to have been less than wonderful in real life...

      Delete
  3. Do read The Warden. In my view it is the second best of the Barchester Chronicles, behind the second book Barchester Towers, but they are best enjoyed in series order. As I commented recently on Twitter, the contest (if that is the right word) to be the next Archbishop of Canterbury very quickly reminded me of Barchester Towers. Less than twenty four hours after the Rowan Williams announced he was stepping down, I had already heard one news bulletin refer to factions within the church talking up their favoured candidates and highlighting the weaknesses of those associated with rival groups - just like Mr Slope and Archdeacon Grantly. Indeed, the first chapter of BT is titled "Who will be the new bishop?".

    Enjoy the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember you picking Trollope as one of your choices in My Life in Books? I've been meaning to read him for years - I have about 12 of his novels - and this might be the tipping point.

      Delete
  4. I too, am feeling like I can't read anything outside the 20th century. On the other hand The Warden is delightful and quite short by Trollope's standards (or any standard really) so it shouldn't distract you too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I might settle down with that in between my Sparks...

      Delete
  5. I'm planning to dig into Trollope for the first time this year, coincidentally with The Warden and Barchester Towers. It's nice to know others are heartily recommending it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! We'll be reading alongside each other, maybe :)

      Delete
  6. Loving the Penguin English Library series! I have a collection of Poe short stories on my bookshelf that I can't wait to dive into.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was out of the blogosphere last week, so belated thanks for the shout-out! :) Also, how did you like The Hotel? I remember watching it a few years ago & really enjoying it!

    >>although I feel oddly guilty about reading non-twentieth century titles this year..

    Is this because of your year project? I'm the opposite: I start to feel guilty (or twitchy at least) when too many of my books are from the 20th (and 21st) century! I just began Armadale; there's nothing like my favourite Victorians for a comfort read. :D It's my last of his big books, and I plan to savour every page.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.